Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A touch of Cupid.


It's been a long time since my last wreath.  And to think, mr used to call me the wreath lady!  I guess I got the obsession out early in my blogging-hood.  In any case, I used my Vintage Romance Wreath inside this year, which meant I needed a different Valentine wreath for outside.  I was determined to use only what I had on hand, which determined many of the materials and the amount of materials I used (for instance, my original idea involved felt, but I didn't have enough red, so I switched to card stock.) 

I wanted to incorporate arrows, and eventually all of this led to: 

To make your own, you'll need:

(I decorated the sticks randomly by using double sided tape to hold down the ends of the yarn or twine and wrapping it around different sections.  But if I did it again I'd probably use hot glue.)

1. Cut a heart shape out of car stock.
2. Decorate the heart with washi tape - both sides.  Poke a little hole in the middle of the top of the heart and string it with twine.
3. Take the inside hoop of the small embroidery hoop and secure the heart to the hoop with the twine.
4. I just looped the twine around and tucked the heart through.

5. Cut two templates - a triangle shape and a triangle with some long pieces cut out as pictured.
6. Cover a rectangle of card stock in washi tape.  
7. Cut out four triangles and four funny looking triangles.
8. I cut two each out of stripes and two each out of solid red.

9. Cut slits in the end of the dowels.  On one end, they don't have to be very long, but on the other end the slit should be at least an inch long.
10. I found it was easier to do with this small saw attachment for my craft knife.
11. Put a dab of hot glue in the middle of the bottom of the triangles and slide them into the short slit.
12. Put a dab of hot glue on the point of the strange looking triangle and slide them in the long slits.

So you've made some fun looking arrows!

13. Now, take your arrows and glue them to the small embroidery hoop with the heart in it.
14. Just hot glue the bottom of the triangles right to the hoop.
15. Now you can begin gluing the skewers point side in to the hoop between the arrows.
16. Continue gluing the skewers around the hoop in between the arrows.

17. Take the inside of the large embroidery hoop and tie a length of twine around it.
18. Flip the wreath over to the back and spread glue in a line on the skewers where the large hoop will touch them.
19. Lay the hoop down and press it into the glue.
20. Only put the glue on the skewers, then you can go around and secure the hoop to anything that isn't stuck well, including the dowels.

21. Flip the wreath back over the the right side.
22. Glue the outside of the embroidery hoops over the existing embroidery hoops, sandwiching the skewers between.

And hang her up!

Looks like cupid's been at our house.




*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...