Monday, February 6, 2012

The way to a man's heart.




If you're looking for that perfect Valentine's meal to feed your hungry honey, STOP!  I've found it for you!!  And it's right here, now!  We all know the way to a man's HEART is through his STOMACH, right?  And the best part about it?  It's not only hubby approved (via mr), it's literally heart healthy, too!  (And waistline healthy, so you won't bust your New Year's diet!  Are we still doing that?)


I don't usually watch day time TV - like ever.  Or evening TV.  Sometimes I watch a little night TV, but that's not the point.  The point is, I went over to my parents' house the other night and I happened to be there earlier than normal.  Dr.  Oz was on.  And I saw a family (who had lost a bunch of weight together) making this yummy dish.  As soon as we saw it, my mom and I decided it had to be our next Yummy Monday, so I set about finding the recipe.  You can find Anaheim Shrimp Scampi here, on the Dr. Oz website.  Below, I've given the bare bones recipe, but you can click the link to find the scampi butter recipe, the spaghetti squash recipe, and many more good ideas, as well.


Anaheim Shrimp Scampi (from George Stella)

Scampi Butter
1 lb raw, peeled and deveined shrimp, with tail on (recommended: tiger prawns)
1 tbsp white wine
2 oz Asiago cheese, cut into small chunks
1 avocado, large diced
Spaghetti Squash

Directions
Place 2/3 of the scampi butter in a large saute pan over high heat and melt. Add in shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes, moving shrimp around in the pan. Sizzle with the white wine and cook until shrimp are opaque, only about another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining scampi butter, Asiago cheese, and avocado chunks. Serve over hot spaghetti squash.


I didn't read through the whole thing, and thusly didn't realize that the original recipe would make 8 servings - so I doubled it and had enough for a small army.  That turned out to be ok, though, because we LOVED the leftovers and my parents got to take some home, too.  


This is going in the rotation.  I could not believe how delicious the flavor was, and it was nice and light - it didn't feel like your arteries were clogging as you ate.  I don't even like shrimp.  I'm not kidding.  I avoid it at all costs.  But I'm really glad I took a chance and made it this time, because, as I said amazing.  My parents were in love.  mr liked it as well, but thought the asiago cheese was kind of strong.  I happen to love strong cheese, so that didn't bother me at all.  We even got bug to try a shrimp and mini ate it all (but only a little cheese, truth be told.)

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.  Just looking at the pictures makes me want to go cook it again.


I also learned from reading this recipe, that spaghetti squash soaks up any flavor you put on it, and therefore is a perfect substitute for carb heavy pasta dishes.


No real side dish to share with you this week, but I thought I'd pass on a veggie tip.  This is how we like to eat our beans, asparagus, broccoli... essentially anything green.  Steam them, a little bit of butter, and this:

Fox Point Seasoning.  It's amazing.  Also good on fish.  You can order it online if you click that link.  Yum.


Dessert was... well.  Not as good as the main course.  GASP!  It's true.  It's Pudding Cake from Cooks.com.

Pudding Cake
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 2/3 cups boiling water


 In a bowl combine butter, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla. Sift together flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt; add with milk to sugar mixture. 
Blend well. Stir in oats. 
Cake and sauce bake together in one pan to make a cake-like topping with a saucy chocolate base. 
In an 8-inch square cake pan, combine the remaining half cup of sugar, remaining 1/4 cup of cocoa, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in the boiling water. 
Drop oat mixture by tablespoons onto cocoa mixture in pan. DO NOT STIR! Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 45 minutes. 
Serve warm, spooning chocolate sauce from pan over each portion. 
Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip. 
Makes 6 servings.



I have since found other chocolate pudding cake recipes and even Hot Fudge Cake recipes that look like they would be much more successful.  The one above is the only one that called for oats, and though I could be wrong it seemed like a misguided attempt to make themselves feel more healthy as they ate something so not healthy.  If you love cocoa or dark chocolate, you might really like this minus the oats.  I personally need a little more sweet in my chocolate.  


Well, technically I don't need any sweet OR chocolate... but we all know I'm not giving that up...



*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...