Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Thinking of changing my blog name...

You didn’t think I’d let a week go by without showing you some DIY stained glass, did you?  Pretty soon I’ll have to change the name of this blog to “Mod Podge Stain Glass Projects” or “I’m Really One Note” or maybe “Obsessive Compulsive Crafting.”  That last one has a nice ring to it...
At least this project is a different take on it.  No jars here, folks.  Just this:  

one clearance frame from walmart.  And it started out like this:


and this:
mod podge
food coloring
water
toothpick
spray paint
sandpaper
acrylic craft paint
paint brush
two wooden purse handles - old and beat up, from St. Vinny’s
Gorilla Glue Epoxy
plastic Spoon
clamps
And no, I didn’t buy any of this special for this project - my status as a “Stashbusting September Blog” remains in tact. 
I bought the frame long ago for super cheap and wasn’t sure what to do with it.  Eventually, I noticed picture frame trays floating around Crafty Chic Land and knew that my frame was actually a tray in disguise.  But I wanted it to be different.  And cool...
Enter, DIY stained glass.  The minute I did my first vases, I knew I wanted to try the technique on other things too.  And a cheap frame that I wanted to make unique seemed like the perfect guinea pig.
Want to see how it turned out?  Well, you’ll have to wait for the end of the post.
Here’s how to do it.
Mix up your mod podge/water/food coloring solution.  (more on that here)
Take the glass out of your frame and lay it on a well covered flat surface.  Then, drizzle or pour the mod podge solution around the glass.

Tip the glass around so the mod podge covers the whole glass.

Add some drops of food coloring here and there.
Take a toothpick and smear the food coloring around.
Add a few more drops of food coloring and tip the frame on its side (whichever way you want the design to run).
Fair warning.  At this point, your hands will look like this.  Awesome.
Now, clean the edges of your glass and make sure the other side is clean too.
Stick it in the oven on a baking sheet and cook it at 170^ for about an hour or so.  
And here is the result:
I was pretty stoked.
Now, spray paint your frame and handles.
If your handles are wider than your frame, place the handles under the frame on the short ends of the tray.  Using a pen, mark where the handles stick out from the tray.
Have your hubby cut them to size.  Or, you know, you could do it too.  I didn’t want to use the hand saw, I’m lazy like that.  We have GOT to get a saws-all.  
Now, take your handles and your frame out back and rough ‘em up.  OK, just kidding.  You don’t have to take them out back.  Just pull out your sandpaper.  (You should sand the edges, too, so the wood isn't rough where you cut it.)
DISCLAIMER: I don’t know what the heck I am doing when it comes to distressing.  I just followed the lead of several other crafty people out there, like Mandi from Vintage Revivals and Mandy from Mandy’s Yellow Corner.  Huh.  They’re both Mandy’s... Anyway, it’s not perfect.
Sand away, paying special attention to corners and raised portions - the areas that would likely get all banged up if it were thrown around in the basement for 80 years or so.


Then, mix up a slightly darker color with your acrylic paints and dry brush it on the handles and the frame - especially the raised detail (if any).

Sand again.





Mix up an ivory/white color with acrylic paint and add water to dilute it, making kind of a glaze.  
Brush it on the handles, paying special attention to cracks, dents, holes, and blemishes.  After letting it sit for a bit, wipe it off with a cloth.


Do the same to the frame.
Once it dries, you’re finally ready to assemble it into a tray!  
Cut out some decorative paper to fit inside the frame - a note about color/pattern:  I wanted the glass to be the focal point.  I did not want the paper to compete in any way.  So I chose a neutral colored paper with a slight pattern and variance in color.  You could use whatever kind of paper suits your fancy!
Stick it in the frame and close it up.
Take the little stand part of the frame off.
Mix up your epoxy (beware, it is SMELLY.)
Using the plastic spoon, spread the epoxy on the part of the wooden handles that will attach to the back of the frame. 
Stick it on the frame 

and clamp it down in multiple places.
Now you just let it sit until the epoxy is completely cured.  Waiting overnight is the hardest part.
Take the clamps off, turn it over and voila!
A fun stained glass tray dressed in my favorite spray paint and yours - Krylon’s Ocean Breeze!

And no, I’m not really changing the name of my blog.  Obsessive Compulsive Crafting might be more accurate, but I’m not sure I’m ready to broadcast that everywhere yet.

EDITED:  Here's a picture of the glass after it was baked but before it was put in the frame so you can see how translucent it is.  You'll want to pick paper you won't mind seeing just slightly when you cover the cardboard back of the frame.  Of course, it won't be this translucent when it's all together, because the light won't be shining all through it, but I wanted to give you an idea.



- Kimberly



15 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so great! You know I have to post it!!!

Jill said...

LOVE!!! So beautiful!!! I love that you did this on plain glass!!

Melissa said...

Gorgioso!!

Unknown said...

Amazing. I've never tried modpodge & food coloring, but I love the effect!

Have you tried Gallery Glass? Very cool stuff - but you're doing fine with your own concoctions!

Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link up to Passion for Paint!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Super pretty color combos going on here. Love the idea! Thanks for linking it up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions :)

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great tute! I love the ornate/pretty frame.
gail

AUDRA said...

so pretty!

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking up to Passion for Paint. Please come by again soon!

I also started another blog this week - http://FengShuiSavvy.blogspot.com. Would love for you to visit!

Katie said...

Wow very creative paint treatment, I've never seen that one before and I love how you really personalized your tray! Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Hope you'll join us at the newest one, it begins tomorrow!

AmyC ~ said...

why food color? couldnt you have used acrylics?

Noreen said...

Wow! Really creative idea! Who would have thought you could do stained glass with Mod Podge?!

jen said...

what is the mod podge/food coloring/water solution? how much of each do you use? you have to let the glass dry before you clean the edges and the other side, right? and what is the paper for? can you still see it through the glass?

Unknown said...

Jen - I don't use precise measurements, but I use at least 6 or more drops of food coloring, maybe 1/2 cup of mod podge and then just enough water to thin it out a little so it runs just a bit easier to coat everything nicely. I don't wait for it to dry to clean, because you don't want it to dry before you bake it and you definitely don't want to bake it with spots all over the other side. So, you'll have to cradle it very carefully (or have someone hold it gingerly by the very edges) while you clean it off. If you are somewhat careful in the first place, there won't be much to clean - especially on the other side. The paper is to cover the cardboard backing of the frame, because that's not pretty. You'll only just be able to make it out because your glass will definitely be translucent. How much you see depends on what pattern and color you pick. Darker colors will be more visible and make the whole glass look darker. That's why I chose a lighter more neutral color with only a subtle pattern. I also learned that you get more vibrant color if you mix two colors together to get another color - so for instance, instead of using green food coloring, you would use blue and yellow to make green and then vary the amount of drops of each to make varying shades to use. I have no idea why that is. Probably just a matter of more drops total. Hm. Anyway, hope all of this helps!

Unknown said...

I added a picture at the very end of the post to show you how translucent it really is before you put it back in the frame with the paper behind it. Hope that makes things more clear!

Mandy England said...

This is gorgeous! I don't know how I missed it when you posted it, and I probably would have never found it except that somebody followed the link over to my page today [btw, thanks for the shoutout! :]
Seriously though... this project is brilliant! You should make some Christmas ornaments with your stained glass technique... or is that already on your agenda? ;]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...